Operation Mockingbird CIA Provides stooges to influence opinion
Raymond
2012-01-03 16:02:12 UTC
Devon77 (99 posts)
Tue Feb-27-07 09:55 AM
Original message
Operation Mockingbird

Further details of Operation Mockingbird was revealed as a result of
the Frank Church investigations (Select Committee to Study
Governmental Operations with Respect to Intelligence Activities) in
1975.

According to the Congress report published in 1976: "The CIA
currently maintains a network of several hundred foreign individuals
around the world who provide intelligence for the CIA and at times
attempt to influence opinion through the use of covert propaganda.
These individuals provide the CIA with direct access to a large number
of newspapers and periodicals, scores of press services and news
agencies, radio and television stations, commercial book publishers,
and other foreign media outlets." Church argued that the cost of
misinforming the world cost American taxpayers an estimated $265
million a year.

Frank Church showed that it was CIA policy to use clandestine handling
of journalists and authors to get information published initially in
the foreign media in order to get it disseminated in the United
States. Church quotes from one document written by the Chief of the
Covert Action Staff on how this process worked (page 193). For
example, he writes: “Get books published or distributed abroad without
revealing any U.S. influence, by covertly subsidizing foreign
publicans or booksellers.” Later in the document he writes: “Get books
published for operational reasons, regardless of commercial
viability”. Church goes onto report that “over a thousand books were
produced, subsidized or sponsored by the CIA before the end of 1967”.
All these books eventually found their way into the American market-
place. Either in their original form (Church gives the example of the
Penkovskiy Papers) or repackaged as articles for American newspapers
and magazines.

In another document published in 1961 the Chief of the Agency’s
propaganda unit wrote: “The advantage of our direct contact with the
author is that we can acquaint him in great detail with our
intentions; that we can provide him with whatever material we want him
to include and that we can check the manuscript at every stage… (the
Agency) must make sure the actual manuscript will correspond with our
operational and propagandistic intention.”

Church quotes Thomas H. Karamessines as saying: “If you plant an
article in some paper overseas, and it is a hard-hitting article, or a
revelation, there is no way of guaranteeing that it is not going to be
picked up and published by the Associated Press in this country” (page
198).

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKmockingbird.htm

If you can inject a story into a Newswire, which will be picked up by
every station without questioning, you have won.

Unfortunately in the case of BBC it's raining while the reporter is
telling us about a dry sunny day.
But oh, magically the connection drops just before WTC 7 is going to
blow up ... just a coincidence
John McAdams
2012-01-03 17:02:11 UTC
Post by Raymond
Devon77 (99 posts)
Tue Feb-27-07 09:55 AM
[...]
OK, so you think 9/11 was a U.S. government conspiracy.

.John
--------------
http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/home.htm
Raymond
2012-01-03 19:48:04 UTC
Post by Raymond
Devon77 (99 posts)
Tue Feb-27-07 09:55 AM
[...]
No I don't John. However, perhaps > > Devon77 does. It is his
statement...not mine
SEE
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=125x144008

I have included, in some of my earlier posts, material that you have
written even though I may not have agreed with you.
I am not attacking you. I am being realistic. We simply often
disagree. There is room for disagreement. Unfortunately, too many
posters are crude and vulgar, which spoils the entire purpose of
searching for the truth of what really happened on11/22/63

I happen to think that JFK's assasination was a Coup d'Etat and
Warren was a cover-up. I am obviously not alone. in my opinion.

I am always ready to accept criticism, but not sarcasm

Sorry if I penetrated your thin skin
Thanks for your email. Comment Noted....
.
'adieu' and 'au revoir'
-- Raymond